Do you ever wish you had a massage therapist available whenever you needed? I sure do! But, since that isn’t an option for most of us, the next best thing is the Rooftree R20 Massage Gun. This percussion massage device is amazing! I now always have it charged and sitting nearby for whenever my tight, sore muscles start talking. This massage gun can easily get into that deep muscle tissue with its high frequency vibrations. While the vibrations can be a bit intense initially, your muscles will thank you. There are many things I like about this device, but I’ll narrow it down to just 4 things.
- Easy to use. The Rooftree Massage Gun is not complicated. It comes with a short instruction pamphlet and that’s about all you need to get started. After I charged my massage gun, I looked over the instructions, chose the attachment that looked the least intimidating, selected the lowest speed, and began to massage some key muscles. It was that simple. (If you want more information, the Rooftree website has some “how to” videos and some helpful articles.) I will recommend that you definitely start out on the lowest setting. From there you can adjust it according to your tolerance level and what muscles you are targeting. So far, I’ve been quite happy to stay on the lowest setting. It does a pretty good job at hitting the muscles hard without being too intense.
- Convenient and versatile. No need to schedule your massage weeks in advance, just make sure you keep the gun charged and it will be ready whenever you need it. Depending on the target muscles and the intensity of massage you need, you have 3 different attachments to choose from. The attachments take just seconds to remove or install and you are on your way to muscle relief and recovery. While I prefer the flat attachment, I have tried the other 2 and they work great also. Honestly, I avoided the bullet attachment for awhile because it looks pretty scary. Surprisingly, it didn’t end up being the painful massage I imagined when used on my hips and lower back. But, you couldn’t pay me to use the bullet on my calves. Even the flat attachment is a challenge for me to use on those muscles. Overall, I have found it convenient to spend a few minutes massaging key areas while sitting on the couch watching TV in the evening. This makes for more regular mini massage sessions for any sore, tight muscles. That’s a win in my book.
- Quick. I haven’t had the need to spend extended time with the massage gun. The intensity of the vibrations allow for a deep massage quickly. In fact, I’ve probably only spent 30 seconds to 1 minute at most on one area. Just a few short minutes has been enough to provide relief. Although, if you have some extremely tight areas, you may find the need for more time (or maybe just more intensity) on those areas.
- Affordable. For the cost of several massage sessions, you can have the on-demand massage you wish for. While I am not recommending you neglect the benefits of seeing your massage therapist regularly, this is a great option for maintenance between massage appointments.
While the R20 Massage Gun is great for self-massage, it is a little tricky to get your entire back. I recommend having someone help you out with that for best results. My husband has chronic back tightness and is a big fan of this device. After I run it over the tight areas on his back for just a few minutes, he says it provides relief. (And it’s a relief for me, as it’s way easier to use the massage gun then to try to loosen his back muscles manually.) I will say the vibrations on your back can be a bit harsh at first and make you feel like your lungs are being shaken loose. It is definitely a strange sensation that takes a little getting used to. Ease in slowly by starting with short sessions and low vibrations.
Overall, I am very pleased with the Rooftree R20 Massage Gun. I will continue to use it regularly and I’m quite sure my husband will be requesting I use it regularly on his back. I feel like this will make a difference in keeping my tight muscles at bay if I use it consistently and intentionally. It’s great for recovery after runs and workouts, as well. I’d recommend you put this on your Christmas list this year for sure! It is definitely my favorite new toy.
Product and Price: R20 Massage Gun, $179 (regularly $269)
- rechargeable lithium battery lasts over 8 hours
- 3400 percussions per minute
- aluminum alloy attachments
- 4 customizable speeds
- portable carrying case
More About Rooftree:
I’ve been a running enthusiast since teenager and run marathons a lot in America. As an amateur, I get knee injury easily. Once a doctor recommended me a medical muscle massage device, which allows my knees get better treatment and fast recovery. In order to help more people like me to enjoy sports and fitness, I create Rooftree. We worked with over 500 professional athletes and fitness enthusiasts and eventually produced a powerful massage gun with high quality standard — Rooftree R20 Percussion Massage Device, which can effectively activate muscle tissue before exercise and relieve muscle pain after exercise. We devote ourselves to the development of products and technologies that contribute to sports and fitness around the world. Professional athlete? Or just a sport lover? We hope our innovative products can help to improve your health and make you move easier. – William/Founder
Thank you to Rooftree for providing us with a sample massage gun. Please read our transparency page for info on how we do our reviews.